About Me

My photo
Mesa/Chandler, AZ, United States
Married, Father of Two & pet lover. I make a career in Customs compliance. Really enjoy traveling and experiencing new places, whether in my backyard or on the other side of the globe! Road trips and camping are a passion of mine!

Monday, August 20, 2012

True Tony Scott Romance

It was sad to hear the news this morning about Tony Scott's death.  I have been a fan of his movies since I was a teenager (20+ years) and will miss his style of movies.

I've read some articles comparing Tony to his brother Ridley and how their movie styles differ.  One has Academy Awards, the other none.  While I
enjoy both of the brother's movie's; its very hard to compare them to the "Ultimate Prize" to win an Oscar.

I think this is unfair to criticize a film maker, because they haven't won that prize.  Some films are meant to have deep meaning, others to reflect on history, and some simply to entertain us.  I for one have been thoroughly entertained by Tony's movies.  In fact many of his projects he's been involved in are movie's I make a point to seeing at the movie theater and some that have become a cult favorite.

The movie known to most people is Top Gun.  With Tom Cruise at the helm and a strong supporting cast and fantastic soundtrack, it is a movie I can still watch today on broadcast television.  Eddie Murphy has always been a favorite of mine and Beverly Hills Cop II didn't let me down.  My favorite of his movies and maybe lesser known, is True Romance.  A favorite writer Quentin Tarantino was paired with a Christian Slater in a fantastic movie role.  By far a choice cult movie of mine for the dialogue and bringing back of one of my favorite childhood actors.

The movie Man on Fire is my favorite Denzel Washington movie; he plays the ultimate bad ass in that movie and I'm just on the edge of my seat the whole time!  Spy Game & Unstoppable are a couple other favorites of mine.  Simply action packed with a good back story and a great movie ride.

I enjoy an array of films from independent, foreign, blockbusters, and everything in between.  I AM A FAN OF MOVIES, ALL OF THEM!

For those who want to compare this and other filmmakers to others who have earned prestigious acclaim.  Back off, not everyone out there wants to see a purely artistic movie all the time.  Some of us just want to be entertained with pure action and on the edge of your seat stories.

Tony, I'm sorry to see you go.  You gave me moments of entertainment without even knowing me.  Thank you and know; your projects have now been with me for decades and they will continue for decades more!

No comments:

Post a Comment