About Me

My photo
Mesa/Chandler, AZ, United States
Married, Father of Two & pet lover. I make a career in Customs compliance. Really enjoy traveling and experiencing new places, whether in my backyard or on the other side of the globe! Road trips and camping are a passion of mine!

Thursday, July 19, 2012

Business & Pleasure in New Orleans


Guess it shouldn't take me a year to update a trip, but life is busy!

I was really looking forward to this trip as it was the first time visiting New Orleans, but my best friend was able to arrange to meet me there to enjoy the city!

If you haven't before, I really recommend taking some vacation time on business trips.  Getting there and back is usually paid for (unless differences in air fare) so that is a huge chunk of expenses that are taken care of.  Secondly, my use of Hostel's (http://www.hostelworld.com/) started on this trip and have preferred utilizing that option for lodging in my travels since.  Usually, very inexpensive and close to things to do.  You do have to make sure you are either a student or make arrangements to ensure US citizens (if traveling in the US) are allowed to utilize the facilities.

I traveled with my business manager Jill for a C-TPAT business conference for a few days.  We enjoyed our stay at the JW Marriott just outside of the French Quarter.  Other than visiting in June (hot & humid), the trip was fantastic.  From the pictures I've posted we hit a couple spots during our business time.  A highlight was visiting the Bubba Gump restaurant.  I am a huge fan of the movie and really enjoyed sitting outside on a balcony overlooking the area.  Granted it was hot and humid, but in the evening it was bearable.  After dinner, we did a bit of walking around the area to check out store and sites.  Unfortunately for us, the weather turned to hard rain!  Jill was prepared and brought an umbrella; I on the other hand was ill prepared for the weather.  The rain for me was a welcome sight, walking around getting drenched and cooled off was quite nice.  Being from Arizona, I look forward to walking in the rain as it takes the edge off 110+ degree weather.  After enjoying a few local spots for lunches the business side of the trip ended with no issues!  Bring on the Pleasure!

From the JW Marriott I took the trolley a couple miles to the India House Hostel (http://www.indiahousehostel.com/) where I checked in.  I booked a private en suite (bathroom included) for Robby & I to stay in.  Yes, it did include an A/C (recommended) which was a must with the weather I was expecting.  My boy had a bit of a trek from Atlanta, but made helluva time as I knew he would.  We ended up chilling a bit at the hostel, which is a definite as you usually meet good people to hang out with in common areas.  We ended up going out for some drinks and made it an uneventful night. 

The next day we went to check out the cemetery sites that included a filling breakfast of Biscuits & Gravy.  I recommend one biscuit, not two as I was about to explode. We went back to the Hostel to chill for a bit to cool and hang out with beers.  We ended up heading back down to the French Quarter & Frenchman's street to see the sights with some fellow travelers from the Hostel.  Needless to say, we had lots to drink and ended up walking all over the area in the middle of the night.

More fun happened on our last day as we went trekking around the French Quarter to check out Jackson Square and the shops.  We made it a point to check out the Zydeco (tomatoes) Festival that had some live music and Fantastic food!  We took it a bit easy today since it was the last full day in town.  We ended the evening with watching the UFC event at a local spot.  Had some bar grub and drinks to end the night.

Overall, it was great seeing my boy and appreciated the time he spent driving into NOLA and then back home.  I enjoyed my flight back to see the family after being away almost a week. 

I look forward to heading back to NOLA in the future; hopefully, bringing the wife to enjoy Mardi Gras and cooler weather.  It would be tons of fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment